- In a medium sized saucepan, heat the coconut milk, coconut cream, salt and sugar.
- Heat over medium-low heat, while stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Temper in the egg yolks and continue cooking and stirring until the mixture can coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and mix in the vanilla.
- Cool the vanilla coconut milk ice cream custard to room temperature.
- Place in the refrigerator and cool completely before adding to your ice cream machine.
Vanilla Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- 2 cups coconut cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- In a saucepan, heat the coconut milk, salt and sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- Temper in the egg yolks.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl. Add the coconut cream and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Let cool to room temperature and refrigerate.
- Once cooled, use your ice cream maker to turn the custard into ice cream.
Copyright YummyCoconut.com, All Rights Reserved
Vanilla Coconut Milk Ice Cream Tips
Adding more or less sugar to the recipe can change the texture of the finished ice cream. Less sugar will result in a harder, denser ice cream that is more difficult to scoop. Adding more sugar can result in an ice cream that does not freeze.
You can use all coconut milk or all coconut cream instead of using both in the recipe to suit your tastes.
If your ice cream is hard to scoop, let the ice cream sit out on the counter 5-10 minutes prior to serving.
Freezing the mixture for 30 minutes just before putting the mixture into your ice cream machine can help your machine create the ice cream faster. Before putting the custard into your ice cream machine, mix it up to make sure you don’t have any frozen lumps.