- In a small bowl, mix together the gelatin and 1 cup of the juice. Let sit for one minute.
- In a saucepan, heat an additional one cup of juice to boiling. Remove from the heat and mix in the gelatin/juice mixture. Stir until the gelatin has completely dissolved.
- In a large pan or mold, pour in the remaining 4 cups of juice, the coconut milk and the gelatin/juice mixture and stir until combined.
- Add your chopped fruit to this mixture then place into the refrigerator to cool.
- Let sit until the gelatin is completely cooled, around 4 hours, then serve chilled.
- 2 tbsp gelatin (3 packages)
- 1 cup juice
- 1 cup hot juice
- 4 cups juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1-2 cups fruit
- In a bowl, mix 1 cup of juice with the gelatin. Let sit one minute to bloom.
- After 1 minute, add the hot juice to the gelatin and juice mixture. Stir until the gelatin is dissolved.
- In a large bowl/mold, add your 4 cups of juice, coconut milk, gelatin mix. Gently mix to incorporate, then add the fruit.
- Place in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours until set.
Coconut Milk Gelatin Dessert Tips
It is important to use the hot juice to dissolve the gelatin before incorporating into the rest of the liquid. If the gelatin is not well dissolved, you will have inconsistencies when the gelatin dessert is chilled.
If you do not want to use gelatin, you can substitute agar agar powder. As long as you are using the powder you can substitute it one for one (eg. 1 tsp gelatin is 1 tsp agar agar powder).
The amount of gelatin you use in the recipe will determine how stiff the final product is. Adding less will make the gelatin more liquid-like while adding more will make it firmer.
Serve this dessert chilled, if it warms up too much, it will become liquid again.