Use this recipe to create a delicious strawberry ice cream using coconut milk and fresh ripe strawberries.
The fat of the coconut milk and cream blend well with the flavorful sweet strawberries to make this pretty pink ice cream.
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Heat the coconut milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Temper in the egg yolks.
- Continue heating until the mixture can coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat, add the vanilla and set aside.
- Blend together the coconut cream and the strawberries.
- Add the strawberry mixture to the coconut milk mixture.
- Let cool to room temperature then refrigerate.
- Finish the ice cream in your ice cream machine.
Strawberry Coconut Milk Ice Cream Tips
Blend the strawberries to a consistency that is pleasing to you. You can either blend until there are no chunks of strawberry at all, or you can leave larger visible chunks. The chunks of strawberry will freeze hard, so it is best not to make them too large.
If you do not have a blender, food processor or immersion blender, you can chop the strawberries with a knife until you like the consistency.
Use fresh, ripe strawberries, or good quality frozen strawberries. The quality of your strawberry will greatly influence the taste of the finished ice cream.
If you are checking the flavor prior to freezing, keep in mind that the mixture should be more flavorful than you are normally comfortable with because, once frozen, the taste will be milder.