Coconut and chocolate are a match made in heaven. Put the two together in this pudding recipe and you have a match made in pudding heaven.
Thick, rich, chocolately and coconutty, this pudding is definitely a treat for anyone who loves chocolate.
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- heaping ¼ cup to ½ cup cornstarch
- 4½ cups milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- In a saucepan over medium to medium low heat, place all ingredients except for the vanilla.
- Stir continuously, until the pudding thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the vanilla.
- Pour into serving bowls and serve warm, or chill in the refrigerator and serve cold.
Coconut Milk Chocolate Pudding Tips and Suggestions:
Adding more cornstarch to this pudding will make it stiffer. Add up to ½ a cup of cornstarch to stiffen the pudding to a consistency appropriate for a pie, whereas the lower measurement of a heaping ¼ cup will produce a thick pudding for spooning.
Add more cocoa powder for a darker chocolate flavor, or less cocoa for something closer to milk chocolate.
You could use all coconut milk instead of adding regular milk. The more you put in the more coconut flavor the pudding will have. With just one cup of coconut milk it has a subtle coconut flavor.
If you are going to chill the pudding, place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the pudding, touching the surface to prevent a skin from forming.