Create simple and delicious cupcakes with the health benefits of a fermented sourdough batter. Optionally frost with cream cheese frosting for an easy go to cake for any occasion.
- 1 cup of sourdough starter
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup of white sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of shredded coconut
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, except the salt and vanilla. Blend until smooth.
- Cover the bowl and let sit at least 4 hours, ideally let sit 7 or more hours.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Grease/line your cupcake tins or prepare a cake pan.
- Mix in the baking powder and vanilla, then pour into your baking pan.
- For cupcakes bake 25-30 minutes, for a cake bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
- Serve warm or let cool and frost.
Coconut Chocolate Sourdough Cupcakes Tips
Sourdough starter needs time to ferment the flour in this batter to make it more digestible. It is best to start this recipe in the morning or the day before you plan on using it.